Monday, January 23, 2006

Aching in random places

I am sore. Colleagues noticed me walking like a duck today. Why? Cos somehow my butt muscles have decided to take up arms and rebel against the acrobatics lessons that the lindy hop performance company had yesterday.

Which was a whole another sage in and of itself. Trying to do unsupported handstands, cartwheels, and other stretchy bendy balancy things was not easy, especially for someone who can't even balance on a bike :) Still, i must admit that it was fun in hindsight, and it seems fun even now. It was refreshing to challenge myself to try and do something i had always been terrified of doing before, even if it was with a shoulder strain and a 13+km run the day before. Who knows? I might even try getting back on a bicycle :P

Part of the reason I can't do acrobatics is cos I'm quite inflexible. Well, really REALLY inflexible is probably a more accurate description. So that's something I want to work on. Strangely enough, that's the reason I have problems with ankles and knees when I run. That's what the sports doctor said (yes, i finally managed to make my way to the sports clinic 5 months after hurting my ankle while running :P). So now I have to do lots of stretches every day. Still, it's a relief to finally get a diagnosis and something I can do to make my running injury free.

One thing that struck me was how the sports doctor reacted so differently from my General Practicioner. My GP admonished sternly against running too much, and said I should not run more than 3km at one time. The sports doctor, on the other hand, said it was alright to keep running 10km 2-3 times a week as long as it didn't hurt. Not surprising, given that the sports doctor's goal is to help amateur and professional atheletes exercise in an injury-free way. But still, tells you something about how an organisational vision and mission can shape the way one perceives an issue or problem.

Ok enough about work. Time to go munch on my mom's yummy Chinese New Year tarts.

Ajantis is sated on pineapple.

No comments: