Sunday, March 05, 2006

Stillness and silence on a crowded shore

I have a pathological need to fill up empty spaces. Silence is almost anathema to me, as is a complete lack of movement. That's why I sometimes make inane chatter, and why I absolutely loathe waiting at the bus stop and taking a bus. The start-stop driving of the public bus in heavy traffic drives me insane. Sometimes, it even gets to the point where I start staring daggers at everyone who boards and exits the bus at each bus stop.

This sometimes makes it hard for me to hang out with close friends or with H. Cos my neurotic brain thinks that there should be ABSOLUTELY no silence at all since we're so close, and I end up nattering away even though all they really want is to hang out in comfortable silence. A friend said once that the sign of a good friendship/relationship is the ability to have comfortable silence. That's so true. I just need to remind myself of that from time to time.

This weekend was the first time in 2 months where I didn't have any major work to do and had no major events to attend (except for the Yue Opera concert... that's 2.5 hours of my life that i'll never get back again... more on that in a later post). So relaxing. I had forgotten what it had felt like.

Some other highlights from this week :

My colleagues made fun of me this week again for using another big word. This time it was quid pro quo. Apparently they are keeping a log book of all the big phrases i'm using, and it's already up to more than 10 words. -.-

Performance rehearsal has been a bit strange lately. Still haven't mastered most of the aerials, without which I can't do quite a few of the choreos. Part of it is just muscle awareness and body control, which I have always not been so good at (that's the klutz in me emerging). But it's still fun and interesting to do lindy in a performance/choreo context. Ah well.

25 more days. Then it will be H, H and more H! Along with an actual NYC vacation (unlike the 1-day affairs it has been in the past), a little bit of swing, a dash of musicals, and just some solid quality relationship time.

Ajantis is about to start nattering again....

No comments: