Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Cabling my way to Xanadu

Read Trich's blog about being back in Columbus yesterday, which made me reminisce about my student days. Living in an apartment/house/dorm with other people, walking about and talking with professors and other students, partaking in college life, and being generally more bohemian than the working world allows or requires you to be.

The college life is a kind of safe cocoon that sometimes I never wanted to leave. That's perhaps the reason that I had for wanting to be come a college professor. But after seeing how much work and politics went into finding a position and securing tenure, I realised that while i enjoyed the graduate work and the teaching, I wasn't as ready to commit to chasing after funds and recognition in order to do the kind of ground-breaking social science research that American universities demanded.

So actually, I have no idea what I want to do for the rest of my life. Truth be told, I picked political science as a course of study cos it sounded like history, and I ended up in my current line of work more so because I wanted a full scholarship to study overseas. I do enjoy my work but i'm not sure whether i could do the same thing in Canada, which we're planning to move to in the next few years. I had been putting it off due to career issues, but given that the processing time is now 4 years (!!), i probably have to bite the bullet and talk to my employers.

Funnily, i was originally going to blog about the cable TV and internet here, but thanks to reading Trich's blog (bad Trich!), this ended up being more a reflection about the past and the future.

Oh well. Anyway, just a quick blurb about my ORIGINAL topic. There are way too many cable channels here. H's roomate subscribed to cable on demand, so i can download and watch stuff at leisure. I usually catch up on movies during most vacation trips to the US, but this trip more so than usual. So far, I've seen Rent, Groundhog Day, numerous sitcoms, Zathura, Aeon Flux, Ella Enchanted, and Mad Hot Ballroom. And with H's fast internet connection, i've also been catching up on anime over YouTube, which is a pretty awesome video site.

Ajantis is chillin, really chillin......

No comments: