Sunday, April 08, 2007

Blogging in paradise

Going back for the 10th anniversary concert was surreal. It was great to sing with old friends again. We sang 6 songs at the concert, and sang some more. I don't think my throat has been that sore in a while. Caught up with some old friends. It was good. But i think this is the probably the last time i will go back for a Gimble concert; going back for the reunion concert also made me quite aware that Gimble is something squarely in my past. I will look back on it with great fondness and affection, but we have all moved on beyond it into the working world.

H asked me : "How do you think Gimble has impacted you?" My answer; that it helped me become more aware of my own quirks and issues, and learn how to manage them better. In turn, this made more ready and able to learn from all the stuff that was thrown at me when i worked. So yes, i am grateful for everything that i got from being in the group. H is too. He said that he picked up quite a few management skills from learning how to push and manage a group of 16 very strong willed people ;)

H and i also took the chance to get out of town and go to Saugautuck, Michigan for a couple of days. It's a nice sleepy resort town, very different from extremely urban Singapore. But i think H got it right when he turned to me at dinner and said, "i think we're both urban people... most people would be enjoying this right now, but both of us are thinking how we're going to occupy ourselves tonight and tomorrow". Which was oh so true.... cos the next day we drove 45 minutes away to visit a sculpture garden in a nearby town....

All in all, though, the whole visit was very nice, especially since i didn't have to worry about work at all. Even though the Michigan weather was being crazy as usual (from 20 degrees celsius to -4 and snowing the next day), it was good to spend time with H, with old friends, with memories and recollections. And H cooked for me on the last night ;)

In other news, H and I have set a date for him to move here. April 2009. We finally have a date! Now the real planning for his bakery begins. I am a little worried about the amount of investment needed, but we will work through the numbers and business plan first.

Back to work tomorrow. Feels like i've been away a long time. And looks like i will be travelling a lot this year :
May - KL
Jun - Whole month in Melbourne, Sydney, Chicago, Columbus
Aug - Sydney
Sep - Beijing
Oct - Manila
Nov - St. Louis, USA (for friend's wedding).

Guess i'll see how much of a traveller i really am.

Ajantis will not get air-sick....

No comments: