Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Atheist Agnostic Religious Fanatic

Had to blog about this. It's one of the most powerful articles i've read in a while. Honest. Sincere. So much resonance, especially in a world where religions seem to keep defining issues in more black and white manners.

H and I have always debated about religion. H is an atheist. I am an agnostic, mainly because it is somewhat more comforting to think that there is a greater being out there that can make sense of all the wonderful and crap things that happen around us.

After reading this article, i'm not so sure. Maybe choosing not to believe in a greater thing or entity out there is the more courageous thing to do, because it forces you to take responsibility for your own actions.

Part of the reason I have never been able to join an organised religion is because I feel like too many variants of it focus on blame and guilt and closing off debate. But i appreciate the sense of community that religion provides. Yet, there are many other ways for us to be part of the communities around us. And this article only reinforces that point for me.

I literally felt a shiver up my spine while reading this article. The emotional truth came through for me. And the way she raises her kid. It's so darn awesome.

No comments: