Tuesday, August 30, 2005

AHM

Have decided. Am going to run the Army Half Marathon . Brrr.

My original promise was to run either a 10km or a half marathon at the end of the year. Am up to 38km a week now, with the longest run at 17km. My boss tells me I can do it... even if the last 5km is gonna be a pain and a half.

Reflecting back on the training over the past 6 months, I have to say that it's been quite a trip. After huffing and puffing through the first performance class, and realising how relatively unfit I was, I resolved to work on my fitness. Pounding the treadmill that first time for 3.4km was not fun, I tell you.

So yes, there is a sense of accomplishment at having reached 17+km. It's kinda zen-like, almost. Running so regularly, combined with regular workouts, have really helped my fitness. Funnily enough, my complexion has also improved.... don't really get huge zits on my face anymore, or is it just that my face has finally decided to stop rebelling and wallowing in its angsty adolescent years.

Only problem now is that various parts of my legs take turns to complain after each run. Some times it's the calf, sometimes the shin, sometimes the ankle. Knowing how ornery I can be about such things, gonna have to be extra careful so that I don't hurt myself in trying to keep up with the mileage, so to speak.

I'm definitely going to keep on running after this. It is de-stressing, and quite relaxing (ah, those endorphins at work!). Before I commit to any other races though, we'll see how the AHM goes :)

Watch this space for more updates!

Ajantis keeps running...

No comments: