Monday, October 23, 2006

My brain is a potpourri

Run log this week :
- Mon : 10km
- Wed : 19.2km (due to aborted long run)
- Sun : 34.3km

I finally feel ready for the marathon.

Today's run was particularly interesting. When you're running such long distances, any change in scenery is a good thing. So you end up people-watching. The couples who canoodle on the benches (and probably think that i'm crazy as they see me run past them for the umpteenth time), the lady who appears to be picking up cans or trash from the grass and has two full bags of cans/trash by the time i finish running, the other late-night runners.

And you also realise that your body begins to fall into a routine. Around the 12th kilometre, my stomach ALWAYS begins to growl, no matter how much i've carbo-loaded (and yes, this is despite the 5 mango puddings for those were at dim sum yesterday). Around the 15th to 16th kilometer, my knees and ankles begin to complain. Today had a new variation though. Bloated stomach around the 25th kilometre. Once again, i blame it on those mango puddings (my bane!). Or maybe the oodles of evaporated milk that i poured on them...

I also realised why i liked running so much. To me, running is a matter of mental willpower. And everything in running, to me, is within your control. It's a simple step of putting one foot in front of the other. As Fish said, i'm a planner!

So anyway, long story short, it looks like everything will be in place for the marathon in December. And dear friends, i was wondering if some of you might be cool with coming in to see me at the finish line, and to go for brunch/lunch after that :) I will be dropping some of you messages in the coming days.

Ajantis sends his love and hugs while icing sore knees....

No comments: