Sunday, February 19, 2006

Brokeback Mountain

Just saw this movie with a couple of friends, and I wanted to capture my thoughts and reactions.

Several things came to mind

I didn't cry as much as I thought I would. In fact, i only teared up once towards the end? Why? One possible answer ; maybe it's because I've known people like Ennis and Jack who were unable to come to terms with their sexuality. While they didn't end up in as tragic a situation as Ennis and Jack, knowing such people meant that the story didn't impact me as much.

Another possible answer is that it took time for the story and the movie to really sink in. As i was sitting in the cab on the way home, various powerful scenes from the movie came to mind. How the people just kept looking more and more tired as time progressed, how the playfulness and passion between Ennis and Jack faded with each year that passed. There was one scene that seized me ; the contrast between Jack 20 years ago watching Ennis ride off and the present-day Jack, tired and weary-eyed, watching Ennis drive off after yet another argument.

Perhaps that is the mark of a great movie. That you feel affected and touched after the movie. Even now, as i sit down blogging about it, I can't help but feel sadness and empathy for the people shown in the movie. Not just Ennis and Jack, but all the people that they have affected because of their own frustrated love.

Most importantly, I didn't feel like i was watching yet another gay movie, with gay stereotypes and cliches. What was happening between Ennis and Jack felt universal, human, and that was what made it all the more powerful. And it was particularly resonant for me watching Jack and Ennis talking, cuddling, arguing, doing all the things that anyone in any relationship would do.

If you get a chance, go watch it.

Ajantis wants to fly across the ocean right now.

No comments: