Tuesday, August 08, 2006

CC = Career Confusion? Career Counselling?

Just had a long conversation with H.

Somehow we were both under the impression that living in the US wasn't an option. But after I made a passing mention, we both realised that the US was on the table again....

One of the things bugging me about living in Canada was not having any idea of what career to pursue. To be honest, I was looking at the possibility of doing entry level jobs for quite a few years.

H asked me two questions that helped to clarify things. What do you like about your job right now? If you could choose between teaching and managing people, what would you prefer to do? My answer to both was that I liked working with and managing people. Which is why HR consultancy has always been a possibility.

So now it's clearer. I will do either an MBA or a PhD, sometime in 3-4 years when i've saved up enough money. A PhD if i wanna teach, a MBA if i want to move into management or HR consultancy. And it means that we might live in the US after all...

Wow. That was a major shift. But i feel a lot better and clearer now.

Ajantis is careering his counsel...

No comments: