Monday, August 28, 2006

Thoughts on a Monday evening

Was thinking about life, work and chocolates (ok maybe not chocolates) as i walked home this evening.

Reflecting back on the experiences that i've had, i feel much tougher and resilient now than when i first started work 6 years ago. I still get stressed, and i still get anxious, but i now treat challenges that would have fazed me a few years ago with startling equinamity.

I used to think that my personal growth had plateaued after college. To some degree, that's true. Deep down inside, i'm the same person that graduated from university. But i have a wealth of experiences now, tough and sad, good and bad, that i can draw upon each time something new comes around the corner. Setting up and helping to lead a 16 member a capella group is not nearly on the same scale as managing a team of 79 people and a budget of millions :)

At the same time, the personal growth that I experienced in college was what enabled me to deal with and learn from all the work experiences over the past 6 years.

I like to think of my time in college as growing my potential, while my time in work has helped to sharpen that potential from a rough-cut diamond into a more polished one (although still a work in progress)

To sum up : I'm battle-scarred, but not weary. Each day is a chance to learn something new, to make a positive impact on the lives of those around me, and a day to make better.

Ajantis is enjoying the air-conditioning....

No comments: